What is Water Filter ?
Water Filter is a device where you can remove unwanted substances such as bacteria or harmful chemicals from drinking water. Water filter is used to remove impurities by lowering contamination of water using a fine physical barrier, a chemical process, or a biological process. Using water filter can cleanse different extents for purposes such as providing agricultural irrigation, accessible drinking water, public and private aquariums, and the safe use of ponds and swimming pools.
How Does Water Filter Works?
- Maximum filters used by consumers once water reaches our homes are made of activated carbon.
- Using activated carbon is famous and you can use in small amount to a large surface area.
- A large surface area having the greater number of very small pores available where this small carbon can absorb all organic compounds and pollutants.
- Activated carbon are used by PUR water filters which is made from coconut shells because these water filter pores are even smaller than other types of carbon filters.
- Using faucet-mounted filter from PUR can easily remove chlorine; pharmaceuticals and chemicals; heavy metals such as lead and mercury; and other organic compounds which will give water an unwelcome taste and odor.
- However, using this water filter leaves mineral ions such as fluoride, calcium, and magnesium, which are good for the body and it helps to improve the taste of water.
Water Filtration Methods
Boiling water is one of the easiest and safest method of water purification. The distribution of the water from sources and or channels may render your water unsafe. If you want clean water, you should be brought to boil and left at rolling-boil for 1-3 minutes. If you are living in high altitude areas, it is better to boil your water for longer than water boiled at lower altitudes. This is because you can boil water at higher altitudes at lower temperature. Boil water and keep a side to cool at the normal temperature before drinking. Water can be drawn from wells, leave it for compounds to settle before you filter out clean water for use.
Filtration is one of the effective ways of purifying water and you can use the right multimedia filters which is effective in ridding water of the compounds. Filtration is a method to combine both chemical and physical processes to purify water and make it safe for human consumption. Filtration saves by eliminating both large compounds and small, dangerous contaminants which cause diseases with a simple and quick filtration process. Filtration process does not delete all the mineral salts, it can be filtered which is considered healthier compared to water purified using other methods.
Distillation is a water purification process where you can heat water to collect pure water in the form of vapor. From the scientific method this method is effective with a lower boiling point than other contaminants and disease-causing elements found in water. This distillation method is powerful purifier in removing bacteria, germs, salts and other heavy metals such as lead, mercury and arsenic. Distillation is good for people who can use raw water, untreated water. This distillation method has both advantages and disadvantages.
Chlorine is a powerful chemical which is used from many years, for home consumption you can use this water. Chlorine is a most used water purification purification which can helps to kills germs, parasites and other disease-causing organisms found in ground or tap water. By using chlorine tablets or liquid chlorine you can purify the water. Chlorine is also available for cheap and effective, As an off-the-shelf water purification product. However, while using water for the drinking purpose caution should be taken, like chlorine liquid or tablets.
How Does Water Filter System Work ?
To remove dirt water filters are using two different techniques.
Using this filtration you can easily remove large impurities from the straining water. In another way, the physical filtration is a glorified sieve, it may be a thin gauze piece or a very thin textile membrane. If you want to remove particles of limescale better to use electric kettle, with a filter like this built into the spout.
Chemical filtration is the another method of filtering, which involves passing water through an active material, so that you can remove impurities chemically as they pass through.
What is the Best Water Filtering System?
Reverse Osmosis System
Reverse Osmosis most commonly known as RO filters. Reverse osmosis systems is one of the best way for producing clean water at your home. This water system is more efficient than others, it is having the capable of removing up to 95 – 99% of the contaminants floating in your water.
If you are looking for the best water filter system then this is the right place. In this guide we will explain you detailed information about reverse osmosis. First you need to know how RO system works, and specifications, so that you can understand all the product descriptions which you need.
You can easily install reverse osmosis filters and it is low maintenance, it can take more than few minutes once every few months to make sure everything is working good. Here we provide installation guide for how to install the unit quickly without leaks.
Filtration Steps of Reverse Osmosis System
First stage sediment removal stage: At this stage, first filter is used to block larger contaminants, like clay, rust, stones from the water.
Next first carbon filter step: This step filters is used to remove harmful chemicals in the water, including chlorine. Chemicals should be remove otherwise it is harmful for health and it can change the water taste.
Second Carbon filter: This filter is used to remove the remaining particles which are present in the water. Second carbon filter is denser and more compact, it can block more particles from water, so that the stream is almost clean.
Reverse Osmosis Membrane: This step is more important in filtration process. The RO membrane is a semi-permeable membrane capable which is used to remove the smallest particles. The contaminants can be removed based on the weight, size, and ionic charge.
This is the last step: At this step, chlorine, bacteria, viruses, and bad smells or odors should be removed from the water. Now the filtered pure water enter into your faucet or in the water tank, it depends on your system.
This is an additional step: Filtration has a major role by producing the better tasting water. Mostly people thought that drinking water with minerals, and a lot of mineral free water is more harm than good for your body. By adding minerals it can increase the waters pH. UV filteris also reduce the number of bacteria, viruses, and microorganisms in your water.
How to Install Reverse Osmosis Water Filter
- Most of the people are able to install the RO systems on their own
- These filters are designed only to install in a kitchen cabinet under the sink.
- If you are planning to install it ay from the sink that is basement or storage area, you have to buy all the remaining additional parts beforehand.
- While installation, the toughest part of installation process is drilling a new mounting hole for the pure water faucet.
- before installing a faucet, you have to check with your local authorities, it is better to install air gap faucet instead of standard one.
- Some kitchen sinks is already having the additional faucet hole that might be blanked off.
- Then you dont need to drill a new hole for the faucet, just remove the cover.
Reverse Osmosis Filter System Maintainance
- Once the water filter is installed and running well
- For every 6months you have to review and change the filters
- There are some filters which is having more durable, like Home Master ULTRA-ERP, for this filters you have to change the filters for once the year.
- Who are using the pre membrane filters, they have to change every 6-12 months, RO membrane users have to change the filters every 2-3 years.
- The filters after the membrane are also durable
- Some filters are transparent filters, there you can see when its time to change the filters
- Some filters are come up with come with LED lights notifications, so you will get to know when to change them.
- All systems are easy to change filters, While the others need to use filter wrench provided by manufacturer.
- There is no matter which RO system you are using. changing filters can take just few minutes for every 6 months.
What are the features to Check in Water Filter Before Buying ?
Now a days, we have different types of water filters are in the market. Water purifiers using membrane technology for the filtration, it can ranges from simple water filters to advanced purifiers followed by disinfection by UV lamp filters. From below there are 4 important factors to check in water filter before buying for home usage.
In your home if you are getting water supply is high in TDS, hardness and salinity then choosing RO is the best choice. RO is semi-permeable membrane which is having the pore size of .ooo5 microns. These tiny pores can remove all the dissolved salt, metals and impurities. For home purpose water can be supplied soft and TDS value is under permissible limit, carbon activated filters can work well.
If contaminants are present in water can affect your health which are like Bacteria, nitrate, dissolved pesticides and lead. You have to test the water in any laboratory to test the amount of contaminants present in water. If you are getting the water at your home is high in microbes and contaminants then a UV based RO filtration is the best choice. The RO filtration have membrane which is used to remove these dead germs and contaminants from water and make it fit for consumption.
Both UV and RO filters need water supply at good pressure. If the incoming water supply flow does not have sufficient pressure, the RO filter doesnt work properly. So select the water purifier which is producing the sufficient water filter. It is better to go activated carbon purifiers. If you select water purifier which is high in TDS and contamination, then go for RO purifier. To boost the pressure you have to attach a pump to the RO filtration unit.
The water filters which is having RO and UV filtration are having the advance water purification technologies, but the main disadvantage is that they need electricity to operate. So if you dont have the power supply constant then this is useless. So if you live in area where electricity supply is good then go for activated carbon purifiers.